Welcome to Travelers' Stories About Turkey

Welcome to Travelers' Stories About Turkey, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be apart of Travelers' Stories About Turkey by signing in or creating an account.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Customize your experience here
  • Create an Album and share your pictures
Please take a minute and register :)
Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Fishing in Turkey

Fishing

3 replies to this topic

#1 Adam

Adam

NewB

• ΦNew Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 07 December 2011 - 02:18

Not much help I'm afraid but before I went last year I tried to research the same subject.
I was told that you need to apply for a licence months in advance (yes to fish the sea).
I stayed in a different area (saide) and except for two anglers we passed on a boat trip up a river I never saw anyone else fishing. There were certainly no fish bigger than a few centimeters to be seen in the harbours.

I'm glad for your sake you are going to a different destination because when we were there there was a definite sense that the locals didn't think much to us. They would swear at us in the markets if we refused to buy anything and it was quite common to look around and find you had a couple of decidedly dodgy looking escourts.
Be aware that if these people can rip you off in any way or form they will. don't under any circumstances take the taxis because they change the agreed fare half way through the journey and then threaten to get the police if you refuse to pay.. I don't like tarring everyone with the same brush but I didn't come across a single local that gave me a different impression during our stay.

I really do hope you have a different experience
Best of luck

#2 Lex99

Lex99

NewB

• ΦNew Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 25 December 2011 - 21:57

In this area of Turkey the locals fish from boats without rods.
I'm not sure if they even have a tackle shop selling any bait there.
In principle you can try feathering with smaller feathers № 10 for scad and gar fish, Lure fishing with toby and other spoons for blue fish or gar fish and bonito, Light float fishing for mullet on bread or scad and gar fish on fish strips, bottom fishing with fish baits for all sorts of gobies and wired staff. Beware the poisonous dragon fish!
If you take you rods to the beach you may gather a crowd of onlookers, they are friendly.
Don't forget your factor 25 sunscreen, bottle of water and white hat!!!
The best fishing is early morning and late afternoon.

Just got back from Marmaris, nobody fishes the beaches until evening time when the "roasties" leave the water to settle down. The locals were catching smallish mullet on bread paste float fished, but never saw them catch anything sizeable, but they said they do get good fish when it gets dark, (bream & mullet). Went on a boat trip & when bread was thrown over at lunch time the water was full of small stuff feeding on it, then all of a sudden the water explodes as something comes up & grabs bread & anything else unfortunate enough not to get out of the way!
I would have loved to have had "Blue Skip" out there with me, there is potential there!

#3 moncler outlet

moncler outlet

NewB

• ΦNew Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 26 November 2012 - 11:13

One day I would like to go fishing in Turkey... :)

#4 ThomasRild

ThomasRild

NewB

• Banned
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 17 April 2015 - 18:37

wonderful information thank you

Reply to this topic