Jump to content

Welcome to Travelers' Stories About Turkey

Welcome to Travelers' Stories About Turkey, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be apart of Travelers' Stories About Turkey by signing in or creating an account.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Customize your experience here
  • Create an Album and share your pictures
Please take a minute and register :)
Guest Message by DevFuse



No replies to this topic

#1 Admin


    Extreme Member

  • ™Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 330 posts

Posted 07 April 2004 - 15:01


First started as a storage - museum in 1945 at Alaaddin Mosque with pieces collected from the region. It was moved to the complex of Kurşunlu Mosque in 1966 and to its present premises in the Akarbaşı section of the city in1974. Its collection is displayed in a chronological order in the three exhibition halls of the museum and its garden

In the first hall of the museum animal and plant fossils from archaic ages, and items which belong to the Neolithic, Chalcolithic, Old Bronze, Hittite and Phrygian Periods are displayed. The findings from the Demircihöyük tumulus excavations are also exhibited in this section. In the second hall Hellenistic, Roman and Byzantine Period items and coins from the antiqity and Islamic periods are shown.Findings from Kocakızlar Tumulus at district of Alpu and from the Pessinus excavations at the Ballıhisar Village of Sivrihisar District are displayed in seperate groups.

Third hall is reserved for stone works and contains marble statuettes used as offerings from Roman and Byzantine Periods, statues, tombs, Roman era floor mosaics from Şarhöyük (Dorylaeum) and findings of Babadat excavations.

Open exibition in the garden has marble statues,altar stones,sarcophaguses , baked earth and millstone jars, and various architectural pieces. There are 4252 archeological and 3901 ethnographic pieces, and 6437 coins totaling to an inventory of 14.590 items.

Atatürk and Culture Museum

The building which is located in the Arifiye section of the city was built in 1921 and housed the Court of Appeals. The building has two storeys including the ground floor is built of stone at the ground floor, with bearing brick walls upstairs.

The museum was organized to keep the relics from oor Great Leader Atatürk who has visited 16 times between the years 1920 - 1938 and it was opened to public in 1970. One section of the museum is reserved for Atatürk where his personal belongings and the gifts given to him during his visits are displayed in chronological order.

In the second and the third hall there are ethnographical items from Topkapı Palace Museum and those collected from the region and photographs from Eskişehir visits of Atatürk.

This section also hosts a collection which shows the progress of meerschaum, which is characteristic to the city and which is also named 1white gold", from excavation, to processing to final use.

Books on Atatürk are exhibited at the central hall.

Ottoman House Museum

The house which is located in Dede neighborhood of Odunpazarı section is a typical example of wood architecture of 19th century.

The house which belongs to Halil İbrahim Efendi (Sipaahioğlu) who was a member of the first term of the Parliament is known as "the house of Yeşilefendi" and as an added signifance as Atatürk was hosted there.

The men's quarters (selamlık) section of the house was opened to public visits in 1984 following restoration.

The building, which is constructed in "Bağdadi" style of lathe and plaster, consists of a basement and a floor over the ground level. Wood workmanship on ceilings, doors and cupboard are extremely well done. The main room which has a hearth and a bay window is richer in decoration compared to the others. The museum is arranged to reflect domestic life at 19th century and local ethnographic items are also displayed.

Yunus Emre Museum

The museum building which is located within the Yunus Emre Complex at the Yunus Emre Village (Sarıköy) of Mihalıççık District is built with cut stones. It has a porched entrance and arched windows. In the "L" shaped exhibition hall of the museum titles of privilage and bills fro Yunus Emre Derviş Lodge, books on Yunus Emre are displayed, including architectural elements from his original grave which are adorned with the best examples of Seljuk period stone decorations.

Seyitgazi Museum

It is located at Seyitgazi District which is 42 km. from Eskişehir. The museum is located within Seyit Battalgazi Complex. The complex displays characteristics of Seljuk, Early Ottoman and Classical Ottoman Periods. Archeological pieces are displayed in the museum in a chronological order. Items of ethnographic character generally reflect the special feature of the locality. The open exhibition in the garden includes Roman column heads and bases, altar stones; friezes and balustrates from Byzantine Period, and grave stones from the Seljuk Period.

Reply to this topic