Welcome to Travelers' Stories About Turkey

Welcome to Travelers' Stories About Turkey, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be apart of Travelers' Stories About Turkey by signing in or creating an account.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Customize your experience here
  • Create an Album and share your pictures
Please take a minute and register :)
Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Rhodes from Bodrum, Turkey

No replies to this topic

#1 Admin

Admin

Extreme Member

• ™Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 330 posts

Posted 27 September 2008 - 07:11

Rhodes from Bodrum, Turkey

The day after I went to Rhodes, there was a 6.1 magnitude earthquake and result of earthquake one person died. I was lucky that my visit ended the day before earthquake.

For Turkish citizens they need passports and visas to enter Rhodes. For EU citizens you do need your passports only. There are two days, Monday and Friday, They leave Bodrum 8:30 Am and come back 5:00 Pm. It takes about Two and a half hours to get there. It is a long trip therefore I recommend everyone stay there one day otherwise you have to run and run (I made that mistake and I have not seen a bit just couple places). The ticket is round trip 60 Euros if you come back same day one person, if you stay there the ticket is 120 Euros for one person.

When you get there first thing you need a motorcycle or a car and keep in mind, if you go into the city you will find cheaper rental vehicles than around the port. I do recommend a motorcycle: it is easy to find parking spot and cheaper gas and rent. There are two things that you have to be careful when you are shopping rental car and motorcycle: 1. if there is a cruse on the port you won’t find any vehicle on the port you have to go deeper into the city to find one and that takes time. 2. be careful when they talk about rent, sometimes they double the price if you show your excitement and readiness. When you get there the captain will tell you that you have to be back to the port 3:30 pm in order to go thru custom and passport control. Do not go there that early, they wait for you anyway. Be there 4:30 Pm everything would be fine.

The most beautiful thing in Rhodes is the Castle at the port. It looks like the symbol of the Rhodes, and gives some idea about history of Rhodes. There are so many historical building including a mosque and so many churches. Rhodes is expensive. They take only euros and most of the restaurants did not take credit cards. I have visited a small beach called Kallitheas was a beautiful beach and Thermal resort. There is a little beach at the port too and the sea water is very clean.

Some information about Rhodes from their flyer:

Geography: Rhodes, in the southeast of the Aegean Sea with an area of 1400 sq. km., is one of the largest and most beautiful Greek islands. Its landscape is mainly comprised of hills and low mountains which in their majority are covered with forests (mainly pine-trees). The island’s climate is subtropical and healthy. The summer heat is moderated by refreshing westerly winds, while winter is nearly always mild. Rhodes’s exceptional climate and rich soil have been the main factors, which have contributed, from ancient times the present, to the island’s dense population. This population which now exceeds 80.000 resides in the capital (41,000) and in the 44 picturesque villages of the island.

Road Guide – Transport: The coastal paved road from Rhodes to Genadi (east coast) and from Rhodes to Monolithos (west coast) is very good. There are, however, many other paved roads which are not in very good condition. The dirt roads are suitable fro vehicles but only at low speeds (30-40 km/h). Daily, there are many departures for the east shores (up to Lindos) of K.T.E.L. buses (tell 27706) from Papagou Street and for the west shore (up to Kamiros) of R.O.D.A. buses (tell 27462) from Averof Street. Both stations are located around the New Market. For the remaining villages, there is at least one departure daily.

The City: The city of Rhodes today presents two separates aspects: the old wailed city and the new one with its modern street plan. In the old city, there are: the Kastello, the Museum, the Temple of Aphrodite, and the Street of the Knights, as well as, plenty of other buildings from the days of the Knights and Turkish domination. In the new city, one can see: the Aquarium, the New Market (Agora), Rhodini Park, and at Monte Smith Hill (from where there is a beautiful view), the Ancient Stadium, the Ancient Theatre and the Temple of Apollon.

Excursions: As you leave the city towards the east cost, you pass through: Kallithea (10 km), a small picturesque bay with mineral water installations which are not, however, in operation; Faliraki (13 km), a very beautiful beach and seaside resort, ideal for water sports; Lindos (56 km), built on the site of the ancient town. It has an ancient acropolis which preserves walls and ruins of the Temple of the Athean Lindian. South, there are lovely and quiet beaches. Going out of the city towards the west coast, you come to Trianta’s Bay and Ixia (4 km), a beautiful seaside resort; Philermos (13 km), where there are ruins of the Acropolis of Ialissos; Petaloudes (Butterflies) (25 km), a very, green ravine with running waters and thousands of butterflies during the summer months; Kamiros (34 km), an ancient town with notable ruins of the agora (market), houses, and the Temple of Athena Kamaridos.

Information: For reliable information, you may refer to the offices of the National Tourist Organization of Greece (Marariou Street, tell 23655) and the Tourist Police (Papagou Street, tel. 27423).

Reply to this topic