Welcome to Travelers' Stories About Turkey

Welcome to Travelers' Stories About Turkey, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be apart of Travelers' Stories About Turkey by signing in or creating an account.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Customize your experience here
  • Create an Album and share your pictures
Please take a minute and register :)
Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Language and money changing

1 reply to this topic

#1 Moto-fun

Moto-fun

NewB

• ΦNew Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 25 October 2002 - 05:34

We visited Turkey this summer and rode around the country on motorcycles.  I was surprised at the number of people who could speak some English.  Sure, I knew a few basic phrases in Turkish, I thought it would be necessary.  It helped to know the basics but the vacation was much easier to deal with because of the efforts of the Turkish business people to speak English.  The hotel clerks all could speak English very well even though we were far into the interior of the country where English speaking tourists are rare.  

One thing you must learn, though, is numbers.  Hundred, thousand, million and one through one hundred.  The Turkish counting system is logical and easy to learn.  The money, however,  is confusing for the first few days and I appreciate that the gas station and store clerks didn't take advantage of my ignorance.   The business people were very gracious and honest.  Most prices are posted so you know what things are supposed to cost.  Learn the numbers and things will go easier for you and the people you do business with.    

#2 Admin

Admin

Extreme Member

• ™Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 330 posts

Posted 29 January 2003 - 02:10

I second this idea  ;D . You must learn money related issues because there is high inflation   :D in Turkey. That makes everything extra harder on money issues. Before you go Turkey, spend some time on counting money (Turkish) and number of zeros on the money (Turkish).
:) Admin

Reply to this topic