Welcome to Travelers' Stories About Turkey

Welcome to Travelers' Stories About Turkey, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be apart of Travelers' Stories About Turkey by signing in or creating an account.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Customize your experience here
  • Create an Album and share your pictures
Please take a minute and register :)
Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Here are some random thoughts:

3 replies to this topic

#1 dynamit

dynamit

NewB

• ΦNew Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 01 July 2002 - 21:39

* Turkey is so much cleaner then I expected. The people seem to have a real pride of ownership and of country. Even though some families have very little, they are willing to share whatever they might possess and to do it with a smile. The people of Turkey are among the friendliest of any nation that we have ever visited. Everywhere, there is a smile not only with the mouth...but with their eyes.

* The food is absolutely wonderful. The tomatoes are the best that I have ever eaten and the use of spices and herbs make every meal a delight. Yes, one does have to use bottled water, but that is true in many other countries as well and bottled water was available on every corner in even the smallest shops.

* We had one guide for Turkey and 4 while we were in Greece and we can state without reservation, that the guide that we had in Turkey was the very best. We had no fear whatsoever for our personal safety...no matter what time of day or night that we were out walking.

* Not good for the Turkish people but wonderful for us was that our money went so far. From Internet cafes to gorgeous carpets to outdoor markets the prices were extremely good and we felt that each purchase was a bargain.

* As far as antiquities, we have never felt so humbled before. In California, where our history is all of 300 years old then to stand before a temple and learn it's history dates back to before Christ is truly amazing. To be invited into a woman's home as we were walking down the street in the small village of Guzelyurt...or to see 3 other women making grape syrup the same way that their mothers did for the last 200 years was an experience that we shall never forget.

* The name Mustafapasa will forever bring smiles to our lips as we think of the wonderful owner of our small hotel who asked a local student musician to come and play for us.

* From the laughter in the Turkish Bath House in Antalya, to the grandeur of the Blue Mosque in Istanbul, to the historical ruins at Ephesus we cannot say enough. I truly wish that we had spent our whole vacation in Turkey and skipped over Greece.

Warm regards,
:)

#2 Moto-fun

Moto-fun

NewB

• ΦNew Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 25 October 2002 - 05:10

* The food is absolutely wonderful. The tomatoes are the best that I have ever eaten and the use of spices and herbs make every meal a delight. Yes, one does have to use bottled water, but that is true in many other countries as well and bottled water was available on every corner in even the smallest shops.

* As far as antiquities, we have never felt so humbled before. In California, where our history is all of 300 years old then to stand before a temple and learn it's history dates back to before Christ is truly amazing.
:)

I agree one hundred percent on the quality of the food.  And the coffee was excellent, how about the Arab coffee served after dinner?  Couldn't be better.  I'm sure I ate healthier in Turkey than I do here at home in the US.  The fruit and vegetables were so fresh, and the meals that we enjoyed were very similar to the meals we have here at home.  Meat, the best bread in the world, rice and everything spiced just right. ;D

I didn't have any problem with the water.  The first few days I picked up bottled water because it was so cheap and available everywhere.  When I learned that Turkish municipalities chlorinate the water I started to drink it without fear.  I went a little too far and drank some water that I was warned about and paid the consequences.  Just one little pill straightened me out and  it didn't affect my vacation at all!

The ancient sites are incredible.  I was surprised every day and learned more about human history by viewing the sites than I ever expected.    Now I know what a Hittite is, sorta.

The ancient Christian sites, specifically the monasteries, really gave me a deeper appreciation of the religion I was brought up with.  Seeing the places where Christianity evolved puts history in an understandable perspective.  

The Islamic influence was evident by a minaret standing prominently in each of the villages, even the tiniest ones, as we passed by.  The "Call to Prayer" took some getting used to.  The first one is so early in the morning that I woke up to it every day.  Sometime during the vacation it became comforting to me.    I missed hearing it first thing in the morning when I returned to the big hotel in Istanbul.

Istanbul.  It's one of the greatest cities in the world no doubt about it.  But I felt like a tourist there ::)   When I walked around in the smaller cities and villages I felt like I was being treated like a friend and neighbor.   :)

#3 HeadlineActually

HeadlineActually

• ΦMembers
  • PipPipPip
  • 25 posts

Posted 07 December 2011 - 12:14

Would love to visit Turkey sometime and these posts made me feel so excited. I'd love to walk around the small villages and just admire the different lives these people lead.

#4 Liseutten

Liseutten

NewB

• ΦNew Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 10 November 2012 - 20:07

Would love to visit Turkey sometime and these posts made me feel so excited. I'd love to walk around the small villages and just admire the different lives these people lead.

Totally agree... :)

Reply to this topic