Welcome to Travelers' Stories About Turkey

Welcome to Travelers' Stories About Turkey, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be apart of Travelers' Stories About Turkey by signing in or creating an account.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Customize your experience here
  • Create an Album and share your pictures
Please take a minute and register :)
Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

No Fear

1 reply to this topic

#1 beach

beach

NewB

• ΦNew Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 01 July 2002 - 21:46

My husband and I were in Turkey  on September 23. We were greatly comforted by the genuine sympathy expressed toward us by the Turkish people. Shopkeepers, nomads, waiters, carpet salesmen all expressed their grief, sometimes through sign language.

We felt so "unthreatened" in Turkey, we found ourselves leaving our doors unlocked. (Sorry, Tom, after Istanbul a moneybelt seemed quite unnecessary). I never tired of the joyful response that my "Merhaba" greeting illicited from old and young. I hope that anyone considering a trip to Turkey won't confuse the actions of terrorists with Islam. The Turkish people are friends of Americans.
Mary and George

#2 Moto-fun

Moto-fun

NewB

• ΦNew Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 29 January 2003 - 16:01

after Istanbul a moneybelt seemed quite unnecessary

I felt the same way when I visited Turkey.  I felt more comfortable outside of Istanbul.  We visited the east, southeast and central parts of the country.  I am very visible as a tourist but always felt at ease when interacting with people throughout the country.   In Istanbul I just felt like I was being treated as a walking wallet  :-/  That isn't unique to Turkey.  It happens everywhere tourists congregate in big cities throughout the world.

I visited in July and August 2002.  I am making plans to go back again in May 2003 to visit the Black Sea coast if my personal finances allow it.

Reply to this topic