Welcome to Travelers' Stories About Turkey

Welcome to Travelers' Stories About Turkey, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be apart of Travelers' Stories About Turkey by signing in or creating an account.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Customize your experience here
  • Create an Album and share your pictures
Please take a minute and register :)
Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

MT.NEMRUT NATIONAL PARK-Adiyaman

3 replies to this topic

#1 Admin

Admin

Extreme Member

• ™Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 330 posts

Posted 16 July 2001 - 04:56

Nemrut Dag (Mt Nemrud) is a mountain measuring 2,150meters in height. It is located near the village of Karadut in Kahta county in the province of Adiyaman.   Kings of the Kommagene dynasty from 80 B.C. to 72 A.D ruled Adiyaman and its vicinity.  This kingdom, whose capital was Samosata (now called Samsat), was founded around 80 B.C. by Mithridates 1, father of Antiochos 1. The kingdom's independence came to an end with its defeat by Roman legions in the last of the Kommagene wars and it became part of the Roman province of Syria.
You will be offered a minibus tour. I would advise to leave  in late afternoon to see sunset and spend the night there. There's either a dormitory at the base of the mountain, or there's a more luxurious hotel a couple of kilometres before the mountain. We stayed at the dormitory. Make sure you have a good sleeping bag here because it's freezing cold. Next morning you can get up to see sunrise.
;D Another option is to spend the "night" in Kahta, You will then get up at 1.30 am, and leave at 2 am. You will arrive at the mountain around 3.30 am, much too early for sunrise. You will freeze if you don't have good clothing. So, I don't really recommend this option. This is also part of the 2-day trip which is organised departing from Cappadocia. This minibus starting from Kahta costs now 40 US$ for the whole bus, including the additional tour.
8) The third option, and probably the best if you have the choice, is starting from Adiyaman. Take the tour organised by the Tourist office. They will propose you to book a hotel near the mountain, but you could also book a oneway ticket, walk over the mountain (direction Kahta) and spend the night in the dormitories. Next day, it shouldn't be difficult to join one of the minibuses leaving for Kahta, price will be 15 US$
Posted Image
Most tours take in some other nearby sights like a nice Roman bridge and some reliefs.
For mor information, please click http://www.adiyamanl...g/mt_nemrut.htm here
Admin

#2 Moto-fun

Moto-fun

NewB

• ΦNew Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 25 October 2002 - 03:36

Our group stayed in a hotel on the south side of the mountain and the hotel minibus took us up to the monument at 430AM.  We arrived at the base of the steps leading up to the monument in plenty of time to see the sunrise.  It is a pretty strenuous walk up the steps because it is steep, it's a mountain peak after all  ::)  and it's a pretty long way up there.   I should have walked slower to keep from getting warmed up.  

We waited about a half hour for the sun to rise along with about one hundred other tourists.  I was surprised to see so many people of all nationalities there.  Few of us were adequately dressed.  I had a pair of foam earplugs in my pocket and they were helpful to keep the wind from bothering me.  I'd recommend taking something to cover your head if you go up there at sunrise.  And don't be embarrassed to wear everything you have along with you  ;)  Long pants and a jacket, at least.

The statues are very impressive.  A truck mounted crane was parked at the peak and the workers were very carefully restoring the fallen pieces of the sculptures to their original positions.  The most amazing thing to me was the absolutely enormous mound of chipped rock that stood between the eastern and western groups of statues.  It must measure at least one hundred feet tall and three hundred feet in diameter.  The chipped rock mound actually replaced the peak of the mountain!  

In retrospect it reminds me of Mount Rushmore in the United States where a mountain was modified to represent American Presidents.  But the work here was all done by hand.  Incredible   ;D

#3 Reka Vadas

Reka Vadas

NewB

• ΦNew Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 26 January 2004 - 22:23

:wink: There is an other option to get to Mt. Nemrut. You can hire a car (and a driver) in Adiyaman and drive up to Karadut, a small village which is a lot closer to the peak. You can spend the night in the Karadut Pension, the place is very simple but very clean and the owner is nice and friendly. You can buy a tasty home-made dinner up there and they've got soft drinks and beer as well. If you spend the night there you'll "only" have to get up around four o'clock in the morning to see the sunrise. You can ask the driver to stop at ohter interesting historical places on the way back from Mt. Nemrut.

#4 Admin

Admin

Extreme Member

• ™Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 330 posts

Posted 27 January 2004 - 10:34

Yes, that's absolutely right, I’ve been there and it is absolutely a nice clean and friendly place to stay…

Admin :rolleyes:

Reply to this topic